Are you enamored with traveling around the world? Want to get paid doing something you enjoy? Now is the ideal time to turn your travel diary into a blog. Share your adventures with the world and make money doing it!
Keep reading for 5 steps to start a successful online travel diary.
1. Choose a Good Blog Name
There is a lot of value in the blog name you choose. You want your domain to be:
- Easy to spell and type (avoid numbers and hyphens)
- Easy to remember (keep it short and sweet)
Before deciding on a name, think about what your blog will involve. Take a look at your travel diary for help.
Is there a consistent theme in your travels? Are you interested in focusing on food? What about cultures around the world?
No matter if you’re writing about canyons and monuments motorcycle tours or trips to Africa, your URL needs to uniquely identify you as a travel blogger.
Lastly, be sure that your domain name doesn’t pigeonhole you.
2. Pick a Quality Host
In order to run a blog, you’ll need a hosting service. A host will allow you store all posts, photos, and files in one location.
The best part of hosting companies? Many offer free domain names!
When choosing a domain host:
- Determine your monthly budget
- Pick a plan that suits your needs (look at space, sub-domains, email accounts, etc.)
- Ensure the company offers 24/7 customer support
3. Choose a Blog Software
There are several blog software companies to choose from. WordPress is one of popular blogging software.
With a self-hosted WordPress account, you have full access and control to your data. You can also customize your blog using custom themes and plugins.
WordPress also offers Google Analytics tracking!
Don’t want to use WordPress? Other blog software options include:
4. Pick a High-Quality Blog Theme
The look and feel of your site matters. A well-designed blog boosts user experience.
Many blogging platforms offer standard themes that you can apply to your blog. However, if you want your blog to be a success, it needs to be unique.
Applying a professional theme to your blog comes at a cost. But, the return on investment is well worth it.
More than 66% of users prefer to read something with a beautiful design. Almost 40% of users leave a site if the layout is unattractive.
Take the time to find a professional blog theme that shows off your brand and personality.
5. Install Plugins
WordPress offers a variety of plugins to customize your blog. Some plugins are extremely useful for a successful blogging environment.
Plugins to consider installing include:
- WPtouch – This plugin optimizes your travel diary for mobile viewing
- Akismet – This plugin protects your blog for spam comments
- WP Optimize – This plugin keeps your blog running like a well-oiled machine. Old and excess data are removed, keeping your database clear.
- WordPress SEO (Yoast) – This plugin is your own personal marketing assistant. It assists with keyword usage and much more.
These plugins make managing an online diary much less stressful.
Online Travel Diary Blogging 101
In today’s booming online world, now is the time to take your passion and turn it into a money maker.
With the right travel blog, you’re one step closer to sharing your wanderlust with the world!