FB tracking pixel

World Map of Websites & Internet Stats [Gifographic]

by Matt Banner | 2 COMMENTS Add yours here | Last Updated on

I think we can all agree that the internet is one of the most profound and powerful achievements in human history.

It has connected the world in more ways that one and allows us to share, learn, and grow more than any other technological innovation.

So, how many websites are there in the world? Oh, just a shade above 1 Billion and counting

It’s hard to imagine just how massive the internet and blogging has become. I wanted to share with you some of the most amazing internet statistics and usage information that will put the World Wide Web into perspective.

A Map of Internet Statistics and Usage

The Bloggers of the World Animation

15 Mind-Blowing Internet Statistics 2016

The internet is a place to not only find new information and people, but it’s also a place to make some serious money. Each year, the internet alone adds $2.2 trillion in retail sales.

Technology grows, and the internet grows with it. Here are some incredible statistics that show just how far we’ve come:

  • There are a total of 3.26 billion internet users! That’s 40% of the world’s total population!
  • China has the most internet users at 640 million which his twice the size of the U.S. population.
  • In Bermuda, 97.75% of the population are internet users. 
  • By the time 2017 arrives, there will be more traffic on the internet in a single year, than all the prior years combined.
  • Facebook now has over 1.55 billion active users.
  • There are over 2.9 billion Google searches each and every day.
  • In 2015, 64% of all in-store sales were influenced by the internet.
  • Google is the most popular website in the world, followed by Facebook, then YouTube.
  • In 2015, mobile internet usage contributed to over $1 trillion in sales.
  • Only 44% of traffic online is from humans. The other 56% is from bots, hacking tools, scrapers, spammers, etc.
  • There are currently 966 million websites in the world (and counting).
  • There are currently 123.78 million registered .com domain names. 
  • 40% of global internet users (1 billion people) have purchased products or goods online.
  • There are more mobile users than desktop users. Over 52.7% of global internet users access via mobile.
  • The highest number of websites was 1 billion in 2014, but has since declined.
Alert: Learn the exact strategies I use to build blogging powerhouses. Get access to my exclusive treasure chest of practical strategies you can implement today.


2016 WordPress Statistics

  • 48% of Technorati’s Top 100 Blogs are managed with WordPress.
  • 74.6 million websites are running on WordPress. 50% use the free hosting.
  • WordPress powers 18.9% of all self-hosted websites. Keep in mind that 70% of websites don’t use a CMS at all.
  • WordPress is available in over forty different languages.
  • 22% of all new U.S. domain run on WordPress. An average of 120,000 domains are registered per day worldwide.
  • There are only 229 employees at WordPress. Amazon, by comparison, employs 88,400 people.
  • There are 6 new WordPress.com posts every second.
  • WordPress developers charge an average of $50/hour.
  • There are over 30,000 WordPress plugins.
  • The self-hosted version of WordPress has been downloaded 46 million times and counting.
  • Roughly 37,000 websites are hacked every day. Luckily, WordPress has plenty of security options.
  • The total number of WordPress users is as much or more than the population of Turkey.
  • WordPress is the most popular CMS or blogging site in the world. It powers over 76.5 million blogs.


10 Blogging Statistics For 2016

There are countless reasons to start a blog, but for some people, the biggest obstacle they face is how to prove that blogging is not only perfect for small businesses and personal sites, but larger companies as well.

Here are some amazing blogging statistics to prove that this is the way of the future:

Final Thoughts

The internet is a powerful tool for all kinds of good in the world. It’s also a place where you can start a blog and forge a place for yourself, your business, or anything in between.

Where do you see the internet in the future? Do you own a blog? Share your thoughts in the comments!


  1. eli@launchyourdream.com'Eli Seekins

    I’m always intrigued by the internet.

    The way it evolves is crazy.

    What a cool graphic!

    I’ve never seen a GIFF info graphic before. Very cool. What a great idea.

  2. harrythis@live.com'Brian

    Hey Matt,

    This number is ever growing! The get a clearer picture it’s important to see where the internet started and a look at the growth rate over the years.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *